Board of Trustees
Members of the Board of Trustees represent parents, the deaf community, students and staff. They are elected every three years. Travel assistance to attend meetings is available to Board members.
Back row - left to right: David Foster (Auckland),
Barbara O'Neill - Board Chairperson (Otago), Rachel Douglas (Taranaki), Oliver Ferguson (Wellington), Glenn Dillon (Auckland)
Middle row - left to right: Alice Henry (Auckland), Jo Studer (Hamilton), Jill Ford - Board Secretary (Auckland),
Bernie Mulcahy-Bouwman (Christchurch)
Front row - left to right: Hanna Deal - Student Rep. (Christchurch), Joy Creet (Wellington)
Absent: Dean Buckley (Auckland)
Board Meetings 2014
- Monday 24 February
Monday 7 April
Saturday 24 May
Friday 27 June
Saturday 2 August
Monday 15 September
- Saturday 1 November
- Monday 8 December
Board Meetings 2015
- Monday 23 February - Wellington Airport
- Monday 30 March - Kelston Deaf Education Centre
- Saturday 9 May - Wellington Airport
- Monday 22 June - Wellington Airport
- Saturday 1 August - Wellington Airport
- Monday 14 September - van Asch Deaf Education Centre
- Monday 2 November - Wellington Airport
Saturday 5 December - Wellington Airport
The venue will be adjusted to either KDEC or VADEC as necessary.
The Combined Board of Trustees of Kelston Deaf Education Centre and van Asch Deaf Education Centre is accountable for student achievement. It does this by providing an environment that supports and encourages quality educational outcomes. The Combined Board is responsible for ensuring that each Centre focuses their strategic planning on improving student achievement through high quality teaching and learning programmes. The Combined Board is made up of six parent trustees, a staff trustee, two student trustees and the two Principals. Up to four additional trustees may be co-opted to ensure that the views of the Deaf community and of Maori are represented on the board.
Maori Co-opted Trustee for VADEC/KDEC Board
Expressions of Interest for a Co-opted Trustee from the Maori Community
The Combined Board of the Kelston and van Asch Deaf Education Centres is calling for expressions of interest for one co-opted trustee from the Maori Community.
Click on the link to watch the NZSL video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu2jc0yz6rp3s35/AADPghPOC2Jx2m6X93trA26Ya#lh:null-Combined%20Board%20advertisement.mp4
Board Vision for Deaf Education
• That it will be accountable for delivering high quality service equitably across diverse needs;
• That it will hold high expectations for achievement both academically and socially for all of its students;
• That it will be progressive and forward looking.
Criteria developed by the Board for Co-opted positions:
The co-opted trustee needs to:
• have a strong sense of identity as a Maori person and are able to express this confidently;
• accept that they are not representing a specific group or association, although membership of such does not exclude them.
• have an up-to-date knowledge/experience of the sector and have a holistic perspective, are open to all views and perspectives and are forward thinking;
• and are eligible to be a trustee and operate as a full trustee (Maori currently employed by the Combined Board are ineligible because the Constitution has only ONE Staff Trustee)
Expressions of interest should be no longer than 300 words and include:
• Your name and contact details (pls include email address)
• A little about yourself
• Knowledge/Experience of the Sector
• How you can contribute to the Board
Expressions of Interest can be provided in NZSL.
The co-opted Trustee would need to be available to attend Board meetings on weekdays and sometimes weekends. Preparation (reading) and contact between meetings is also expected.
Please send to:
Kelston Deaf Education Centre
Private Bag 93008
Expressions of Interest must be received no later than Monday 25 August, 2014.
Discussion will take place at the Board meeting on Monday 15 September.
The successful Trustee will be invited to attend the November Board meeting which will be held on Saturday 1 November.
|> Combined B.O.T. Strategic plan (draft)|
Policies and Procedures
|> Complaints Against Staff and BOT Members|